Mount Saint Dominic Academy
Mount Saint Dominic Academy, established by the Sisters of Saint Dominic of Caldwell in 1892, is a Catholic, college preparatory school for young women.
Mother Joseph Dunn, Mother General from 1927 through 1945, led an expansion effort. After tearing down Mercedes Hall, a new, significantly larger building of Gothic design was constructed.
An enrollment influx in the 1950s caused a significant strain on the existing facilities, which led Sister Germaine, principal of the Mount, to head a new series of improvements and renovations. To help make way for additional classrooms, offices and a larger library, the school stopped accepting board students in 1958.
In the years since, there have been additional physical alterations and expansions to accommodate the changing needs of the school and student body. To address the increase in athletics and the much greater variety of sports played competitively by Mount students today, Sister Frances Sullivan, head of school, spearheaded the construction of a new 19,000-square-foot athletic center, completed in 2008. Stage II of this capital campaign is to renovate the former gym into a state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center.
- Fax: 973-226-2693
- Hours: Main office hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 3:30pm (school year); Mon - Thu, 8am - 2:30pm (summer). School hours: Mon, 8am - 2:35pm; Tue - Fri, 8am - 3pm
- Founding Date: 1892
- Number of students: 315
- Male-to-female ratio: All girls
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: Dominican, Catholic
- Graduation rate (%): 100
- Accreditation/licenses: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; Fully re-accredited 2008
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 9 to 1
- Grade levels: 9 to 12
- Boarding: No
- Uniforms: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Advanced placement courses: Calculus (AB and BC), English Literature and Composition, English Language and Composition, Biology, US History, Studio Art
- Extracurricular activities available: Student Council, School Publications, Honor Societies, Peer Leadership, Language Clubs, Campus Ministry, Christian Concerns, Dominican Preaching Team, Social Justice Committee
- Student clubs: Dance, Concert Choir and Choral groups, Band (instrumental ensemble), Dramatic Arts (Fall Drama, Spring Musical), Forensics/Debate
- Sports teams: Basketball, Softball, Track & Field, Indoor Track, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Swim Team, Golf Team, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Cheerleading, Bowling