.

Congregation Agudath Israel of West Essex

Flag as Inappropriate

<p>Congregation Agudath Israel of West Essex was founded in 1920 as the Jewish League of Caldwell by approximately 30 families who banded together in recognition of the need for a Jewish spiritual presence in the Caldwells.</p>
<p>With more Jewish families moving to the area, a donation of land on Academy Road was made for the building of a new synagogue, which cost $100,000. Construction began on April 8, 1951, and the building was dedicated on  April 20, 1952.</p> <p>To accomodate the increasing enrollment, a house and property adjacent to the synagogue was purchased in November 1955 and converted into a Hebrew school and meeting rooms.</p> <p>In 1960, a more liberal congregation called to change the name to Congregation Agudath Israel of West Essex.</p> <p>A building committee was appointed in 1962, and a year later, plans for another expansion were approved. Plans were drawn for a new sanctuary, social hall and kitchen to be built on the new property and connect with the existing facility. A new Hebrew School was also built with the previous structure used for offices and additional nursery school classrooms.</p> <p>In 2000, the congregation celebrated its 80th anniversary and have since made further improvements to the sanctuary and nursery school.</p>
20 Academy Rd, Caldwell, NJ 07006
(973) 226-3600
  • Hours: Daily morning services: Mon, Thu, 6:45am; Tue, Wed, Fri, 7am; Sun (Shacharit and Talmud Study), 8:40am. Evening services: Sun - Thu, 7:30pm.
    Office hours: Mon - Thu, 9am - 5pm; Fri, 9am
Share a review or post about this business.
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Who wants to be the first to post?
See more »