Updated Tuesday, March 27, at 12:58 p.m.
A week after a fire left a Caldwell woman with burns over most of her body, friends are rallying to support her and her family with a number of fundraisers and events.
Kiersten Parks, 21, was after a candle lit her bedding on fire and an aerosal hairspray can exploded in the bedroom of her apartment on Parkway East. Parks was rushed to St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston where her mother reported last week she was in stable condition.
Paula Parks said her daughter suffered burns over 70% of her body and faces at least two-months of treatment and physical therapy.
Parks is a junior at Montclair State University majoring in education. She graduated from James Caldwell High School in 2009.
The young woman is known for her “bubbly” personality, her mother said, adding that she is well-liked and has many friends. Caldwell area residents may recognize her as a friendly face from or Ice Cream, where she has been employed.
Those wishing to support the Parks family can do so in a number of ways:
- The sisters of Montclair State University’s Theta Kappa Chi sorority will be at Alexus Steak House, 955 Valley Road, in Clifton, on Wednesday, March 28, from noon to 8 p.m., raising money for Kiersten’s Kause.
- Plastic wristbands in red, black or white that read “Kiersten’s Kause” and “Red Kray All Day” are being sold for $5 a piece. They can be pre-ordered here and are expected to arrive mid-April. "Red Kray" is a nickname for Kiersten, a redhead.
- When you purchase a subscription to a favorite magazine for you or a friend at http://my.fundraising.com/kierstenskause up to 40% of your purchase will go to Kiersten’s Kause.
- B Fit Lifestyle is planning a charity Boot Camp. A tentative date of Saturday, May 12 has been set. For details, visit bfitnj.com.
- Dekko & Co., 470 Bloomfield Ave., in Verona, will hold a cut-a-thon on Sunday, April 29, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pay only $20 for haircuts and blowouts and $10 for red hair extensions in honor of Kiersten. Plus, manicures, massages and waxing will also be available.
- Verona Pizza, 557 Bloomfield Ave., Verona, will be donating 10% of sales on April 24, 25 and 26.
- in West Caldwell will have all-you-can-eat sushi rolls for a $25 entry charge, with $20 going to Kiersten's Kause on Sunday, April 15, from noon to 6 p.m.
- Collection cans, t-shirts and a closet sale are also in the works. Check Kiersten’s Kause Facebook page for updates.
- Monetary donations may also be made directly to a fundaising page.
Correction: The cut-a-thon is scheduled for April 29, not March 29.