The baseball program recently concluded one of the most successful seasons in recent history, with the Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshman teams combining for an impressive 48-14 record in the recently concluded Spring 2012 season.
The Varsity team capped off the season with an overall 19-6 record and earned the title of Co-Champions in the Super Essex Conference’s Liberty Division. The Chiefs shared the title with Montclair Kimberley Academy. Another highlight of the season for Caldwell was winning the Progress Cup earlier in the season by defeating cross-town rival, West Essex. It was the second year in a row that Coach Tom Lamont’s Chiefs defeated the Knights to keep the cup in West Caldwell.
The Junior Varsity team concluded the season with an unblemished 21-0 record. The JV Chiefs were coached by Dan Romano. The Freshman team, coached by Jeff Edwards, concluded the season with a respectable record of 8-8, playing many larger schools in a challenging schedule.
All three teams were honored this week at the school’s annual Baseball Team Barbeque. Coach Lamont was complementary of how hard the players have worked.
“The success we had this year didn’t happen overnight,” the Chiefs head coach said. “We have been working hard to make improvements in our program for a number of years. The boys have worked hard not only during the season but during the off-season as well. Caldwell Baseball has a long tradition of success and I could not be more proud of how well our program did this year.”
Several members of the Varsity team were recognized for outstanding performances, including:
- First Team, All Super Essex Conference—Liberty Division: Eric Barsanti, senior second baseman; T.J. Reuter, senior centerfielder; and Hunter Smith, freshman catcher.
- Second Team, All Super Essex Conference—Liberty Division: Mike Aliotta, senior third baseman; and John Gallagher, junior leftfielder.
- Honorable Mention, All Super Essex Conference—Liberty Division: Colin Bohnert, junior pitcher.
- John Gallagher has been invited to play in the Essex County vs. Union County Underclassman Showcase this month.
- Eric Barsanti is an alternate selection for the North team in the prestigious North vs. South All-Star Game this summer.
Coach Lamont credited the players with a “team first” attitude. “We were able to accomplish a lot in our program this year because the players were unselfish and focused,” he said. “We are very proud of what we achieved this year and we are looking forward to continuing the winning momentum next season.”