A water coil in a heating unit burst early Monday morning at Grover Cleveland Middle School causing damage to multiple classrooms.
The heating unit was located in a third-floor classroom and its water coil broke open around 5 a.m., said Superintendent James Heinegg. The water then leaked down to classroom on the second floor, causing potentially long-term damage there, and also affected three additional classrooms.
Maintenance crews cleaned up the water in time for the school's delayed opening at 10 a.m., said Heinegg, but those five classrooms remain closed. Heinegg added that the water was removed quickly and there is no threat of mold.
The superintendent expected two of the damaged classrooms will “likely require significant work” before they are reopened and the other three will need “minor work.”
The superintendent said maintenance crews are still determining why the water coil burst and how much the repairs will cost.
“The extent of the damage is still being assessed,” said Heinegg.