A week after President Barack Obama said he would seek Congressional approval to take military action against Syria for an alleged chemical weapons attack by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, New Jersey Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-11) said the president’s plan lacks clarity and he will not vote to authorize a strike.
“Like all Americans, I am horrified by the deaths of so many people who lost their lives in the sarin gas attack,” Frelinghuysen said in a press release. “But I do not believe that the President’s plans will change the course of this civil war and I cannot vote to authorize his military strike."
After briefs by senior Obama Administration officials on Capitol Hill, Frelinghuysen said there is little doubt that Assad used deadly gas to kill more than 1,400 men, women and children on Aug. 21.
However, Frelinghuysen said what he did not hear was “much clarity about the President’s strategic military plans” during those briefings.
The Congressman said he looks forward to hearing the President’s address on Tuesday night to hear more details about the military strategy.
“As Congress prepares for its formal debate on this request, the President will be addressing the nation on Tuesday evening,” Frelinghuysen said. “I will be listening, again, to hear how the President justifies his strategy.”
Frelinghuysen criticized Obama’s leadership in the Middle East and cited his policies as destabilizing the region.
After visiting the region last month, Frelinghuysen said, “My visit confirmed that a clear lack of Presidential leadership has left our policies in this vital region in shambles: this Administration has virtually destroyed a valuable 30-year friendship with Egypt, allowed Iran to continue its march to a nuclear weapons capability, threatened the stability of Jordan and left our best friend in the region, Israel, incredibly vulnerable!”
Original Article Posted Sept. 4