A fire broke out in the laundry room of a North Caldwell home late Sunday evening, according to authorities.
Shortly after 10 p.m., North Caldwell Police and Fire departments arrived at a home located on Soder Road with heavy smoke billowing out of it and smoke detectors blaring, according to authorities.
There were three adults and children in the two-story home at the time of the fire, said North Caldwell Fire Chief John D’Ascensio. The residents had all evacuated the home by the time police and firefighters arrived on the scene, according to authorities.
D’Ascensio said the fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the dryer located in the first-floor laundry room in the home.
"They got very lucky," said D’Ascensio. "They called 911 and they all got out of the house. We were able to contain the fire to the dryer."
There were no injuries, according to authorities. The damage to the home was minor and the family was not displaced.
Lots of residual smoke remained in the home after the fire was extinguished, which firefighters used exhaust fans to remove.
The source of the fire was the dryer, according to authorities. D’Ascensio said the fire is not considered suspicious.
The North Caldwell Fire Department reminds residents not to use a dryer without a lint filter, and to clean the lint filter before and after each use.
In addition, residents are advised to remove any lint behind of the dryer, and to check the venting system from the dryer to ensure it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.