The new year has begun with a snowstorm that is bringing heavy snow, blizzard-like conditions and subzero wind chills.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for all of North Jersey from 6 p.m. Thursday to 1 p.m. Friday.
The NWS predicts 6-10 inches in most North Jersey areas and blizzard-like conditions Thursday night into Friday morning with wind gusts up to 35 miles per hour and wind chills as low as 15 degrees below zero.
Residents are also asked to use 911 for emergencies only. For non-emergencies, call:
- Caldwell Police Department at 973-226-2600
- North Caldwell Police Department: 973-226-0800
- West Caldwell Police Department: 973-226-4114
On-Street Parking ProhibitedPublic-street parking is prohibited when roads are covered with snow. All three police departments have issued alerts regarding those ordinances, which can be found here: Caldwell Police, North Caldwell Police, West Caldwell Police.
Power-Outages And Downed Wires
The storm could cause power outages. Residents are reminded to report outages immediately to PSE&G by calling 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) rather than contacting the police department.
NJ Transit, DeCamp Bus Lines Cross-Honoring Tickets Through Friday
NJ TRANSIT is cross-honoring tickets through Friday, Jan. 3, according to its website.
Customers can use their ticket or pass on an alternate travel mode — rail, light rail or bus — including private bus carriers. As of Thursday at 2 p.m., NJ Transit customers are advised of the following:
- Systemwide: NJ TRANSIT plans to operate a regular weekday schedule on Thursday. Depending on the impact of the storm, it may be necessary for NJ TRANSIT to modify service as conditions change.
- Bus Service: While every effort will be made to continue operating bus service throughout the state, customers may experience delays or detours on their routes in the event of extreme winter weather conditions. Customers are advised to plan accordingly and anticipate disruptions to bus service.
For the full story, click here.
Rather than grumble, grab one of those new digital devices you received this holiday season and start snapping photos!
Email your photos to The Caldwells Patch editor Mike D'Onofrio at email@example.com, or download the Patch mobile app and add the photo directly from your phone.
WC-C Rec Department Cancels Programs Thursday
Due to the imminent weather conditions, the West Caldwell-Caldwell Recreation Department has cancelled all recreation programs for Thursday.
C-WC, West Essex Schools Closed Friday
The Caldwell-West Caldwell and West Essex Regional School districts canceled classes on Friday. Both school districts announced the snow day around 6 p.m. on Thursday.
North Caldwell Cancels Trash Pickup Friday
Trash pickup for today in North Caldwell is cancelled due to road conditions. Please hold until your next scheduled pickup, North Caldwell Police say.
Check back for updates and share what you know in the comments.
Sign up for Breaking News Alerts from The Caldwells Patch.