May the luck o' the Irish be with ya today. Here are seven lucky things to do while your donning Green on March 17 to celebrate the Patron Saint of Ireland.
1) The in Caldwell has been celebrating St. Patrick’s Week – but March 17 is the BIG day with live Irish music playing from noon to midnight, bagpipers stopping in at 1 and 8 p.m. and a special visit from Zach the Leprechaun – who will be serving and working the crowds. Can’t make it tonight? Green beer and Irish food specials are on the menu through Sunday.
2) Whether you are cooking at home or are invited to a St. Patrick’s Day party, you will want to pick up an Irish Soda Bread baked fresh this morning at the Cloverleaf. For $6, they swear it’s the best you’ll ever taste. For your convenience, Cloverleaf Soda Bread is also available at for $7.99 a loaf.
3) Tierney’s Tavern, 136-138 Valley Road, in Montclair always draws huge crowds to celebrate the patron saint of Ireland. The pub will feature The Bedlam Boys playing Irish folk music in the bar at 4 p.m. and again upstairs at 9 p.m. The chef will prepare 250 lbs. of corned beef and there will be “tons” of Guinness to wash it down.
4) At Egan & Sons, 118 Walnut St., in Montclair, St. Patrick's Day starts at 11 a.m. There will be plenty of contemporary Irish farmhouse food served all afternoon in the tented area at the back of the restaurant, along with a fully stocked outdoor draft bar. The pub will have a DJ, live bands, Irish dancers, fraternity step teams, and give-aways.
5) Planning to go into New York City for the 250th annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade? NJ Transit has added additional buses for parade-goers, including express service from Willowbrook Park/Ride to New York between 8:55 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Parade kicks off at 11 a.m. Visit official website for details.
6) Irish gift items are plentiful at on Church Street in Montclair. You'll find all things Celtic, including classic Irish fisherman sweaters and other pretty things imported from the Emerald Isle.
7) There's always another parade at the end of the rainbow ... The 76th Annual Newark St. Patrick’s Day Parade is scheduled for Friday, March 18, at 1 p.m. See details here.