Update: Victim of Explosion Remains Hospitalized
Caldwell woman transported to hospital Tuesday for treatment of burns.
Story updated at 11 p.m. Tuesday, March 20.
An explosion in an apartment which sent a woman to the hospital Tuesday morning is believed to have been caused by an aerosol can which was placed near a burning candle, according to Caldwell Councilman and Public Safety Committee Chair Peter Murray.
The 21-year-old woman remained hospitalized Tuesday night at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston for treatment of burns, Murray said. He could not comment specifically about her condition.
The explosion blew out a double-window in a second story unit at Parkway East Apartments, 26 Parkway East, according to Caldwell Fire Dept. Chief Gary Garamella.
Garamella said damage was contained to the bedroom and an adjacent bathroom. He said the victim lived in the apartment with her father.
The fire was reported at 8 a.m. Tuesday and was under control within about 30 minutes, the chief said.
More details will be reported as they become available.