Thursdays Will Be Late Nights in Downtown Caldwell
Extended holiday shopping hours begin Nov. 18, many shops and restaurants offer deals
D. Marie Home is doing it. So is Smith & Company, Somewhere in Time and Bari's Baubles. Art Devons, Lovely Living Interiors, Caldwell Flowerland and a number of other downtown Caldwell businesses are in the act, too.
What are they doing, you ask? Staying open late on Thursday evenings during the holiday shopping season.
On Thursday nights, from Nov. 18 until Dec. 23., a number of downtown shops are extending their hours and offering freebies and discounts, while surrounding restaurants offer free appetizers, holiday drinks and dinner deals.
"That gives the holiday shopper five extra nights of shopping this season," said June Cowell, president of the Caldwell Merchants Association (CMA), "and we are asking that residents stop into our local shops and restaurants before going to the mall for gifts," she explained.
D. Marie Home, which has once again been named Best Furniture Store by Suburban Essex Magazine, plans to stay open until 9 p.m., which is three hours later than usual for a Thursday night. Owner Dina McGowan said shoppers can expect something different each week and should stop by and check out the showroom.
Bekim Zeqiri of Art Devons said he is already open until 7 p.m. during the week, so staying open another hour is no big deal. The art gallery and framing shop has more than 3,000 works of art available by 300 artists. They specialize in digital prints on canvas, which allow the buyer to customize works of art to the size they need. During the holiday season, they are discounting purchases of original artworks by 20%.
The following is just a partial list of what downtown Caldwell business are offering. Updates will be made each week on the CMA's website.
- Complimentary hot apple cider and a free gift with purchase at Somewhere in Time;
- free makeover and 20% off hair and nail services and products at David Chad Beauty Parlor;
- 15% off all hair and nail products at The Beauty Source;
- 20% off all merchandise until Dec. 12 at LeeZar Sporting Goods;
- a $10 bouquet of fresh flowers at Caldwell Flowerland along with complimentary wine and cheese;
- a $19.99 special value bouquet at Caldwell Floral Elegance;
- 20% off all original artwork at Art Devons;
- a free pair of sunglasses with purchase of prescription frames and lenses at Precision Vision;
- and 10% off all materials at Carpet Cottage.
The CMA noted that many shops have free gift wrapping services, and that free parking is available in municipal parking lots located off of Bloomfield Avenue. The Caldwell Community Center will also be offering babysitting services.
"We are asking everyone to shop local first to support your local economy," said Cowell, owner of Lovely Living Interiors. "We know that you'll be glad that you did."