The Week That Was in The Caldwells
Safety of Central Avenue, vehicle break-ins headline week's stories.
Over the past week, there was a shoplifting incident that escalated into the assault of a T.J. Maxx employee and West Caldwell police officer, 12 reported break-ins of unlocked vehicles in West Caldwell in one night as well as another accident—the 14th in the last five years—on Central Avenue near the corner of Elmwood Terrace that has prompted the West Caldwell council and police department to examine solutions to improve the safety of the area.
In addition, West Caldwell Councilman Dominick Aiello's plea for an outside attorney to investigate council's appointment of James Lott as municipal attorney was denied by the rest of the governing body at Tuesday night's meeting.
A Caldwell resident also sustained facial burns after she was allegedly doused with a chemical outside her home.
Here's a look at the complete week in review:
- Senior forward John Fox scored two goals and had two assists in West Essex boys ice hockey team's 10-0 win over Millburn. http://patch.com/yYbM
- North Caldwell Mayor Mel Levine said the deer management program is necessary for the "health and welfare" of the community. Hunting began at South Mountain Reservation last week and will move to Hilltop Reservation in February. http://patch.com/yRrY
- Taking a stand against the deer hunt: Finding alternatives to the management program. http://patch.com/yJqh
- West Caldwell resident Carmine Casciano's attorney said his client was asked by Gov. Chris Christie to resign amid official misconduct charges. http://patch.com/zmuO
- The West Caldwell police arrested two New York men who allegedly shoplifted from T.J. Maxx and one of the suspects is accused of assaulting a store employee and a township police officer. http://patch.com/zrOl
- West Caldwell Councilman Dominick Aiello's request for an external investigation into the council's process of appointing James Lott as municipal attorney was denied by the rest of the governing body. http://patch.com/zhKF
- James Caldwell High wrestling team clipped by West Orange as Mountaineers win match's final two bouts to secure victory. http://patch.com/zEzO
- West Essex wrestling team rolled past Belleville in preparation for big weekend against Seton Hall, Delbarton and Newtown. http://patch.com/AaEI
- West Essex boys and girls swim teams split meet with Newark Academy. http://patch.com/AehU
- With 14 accidents in the last five years, including one last Tuesday, the Township of West Caldwell and its police department will examine solutions to make the area of Central Avenue near Elmwood Terrace safer. http://patch.com/zBko
- During the overnight hours Wednesday into Thursday morning, 12 reported break-ins of unlocked vehicles occurred in West Caldwell. http://patch.com/zBko
- After knocking off previously unbeaten West Essex, the Mount Saint Dominic basketball team continued to roll with its fourth straight victory following a 61-40 win over Bloomfield Tech. http://patch.com/AxHa
- The Original Pancake House offers stack up. A review of West Caldwell's breakfast hot spot. http://patch.com/AjLP
- Mount Saint Dominic's freshmen trio of Megan Wojciak, Allie Stein and Maggie Coleman have Lions in contention for Essex County swim title. http://patch.com/ATgh
- West Essex wrestling team couldn't keep up with Seton Hall Prep. http://patch.com/BeTl
- West Essex fencing team outmatched against Livingston. http://patch.com/BiLw
- The Caldwell Tutoring Club held its grand opening at 380 Bloomfield Ave., with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by Mayor Susan Gartland and Councilman Joseph Norton. Mascots of the New Jersey Devils and Jackals also entertained children and handed out raffle tickets. http://patch.com/BntN
- The Caldwell girls basketball team found its shooting touch from the perimeter, connecting on five 3-pointers, in beating Nutley 50-35. http://patch.com/BrqJ
- The Rotary Club Caldwells continues to collect money, food and supplies for those in Haiti. http://patch.com/BBuo
- West Caldwell Police Officer Paul Mazzeo discusses school bullying in the first of a weekly series that will address common issues and laws affecting the community. http://patch.com/BAvM
- The Caldwell Police Department announced they are looking for a suspect who allegedly threw a chemical that burned a Central Avenue resident's face on Tuesday, Jan. 19. http://patch.com/BDNU